Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2nd quarter Book Portfolio



I am reading the book Coal: A Human History which is written by Barbara Freese. This book to me is very boring, I have been reading it for about a month now an I am still not finished. Anyway, the book is about coal and the history of it, how it was formed, how it was mined, what it is used for, and its impact on the environment. Sounds boring doesn't it. This book is nonfiction, the theme is that you should never give up, because the author is trying to warn people of the dangers of air pollution and global warming. She is fighting to tell people that there is a problem with burning coal, that it causes heavy damage on the environment, and that the problem has to be fixed, and she is not giving up that fight.
The author/narrator shows the theme by writing this book, because she wouldn't have written the book if she had given up. She wouldn't have taken the time to research all these facts or to organize them so it looks good. She also, in the book, tells some stories of other people that haven't given up but usually for different reasons than hers.

The theme relates to me because I don't like to give up on things so I try not to. The theme is good because if everyone gave up nothing would get done ever. Like George Stephenson did not give up in making a railroad for easier transportation (In book).

This book is very believable because it is a nonfiction book. The characters are all believable because they were real people. This book has many ideas and comments about coal and the pollution it causes.

No comments: